Queenslanders are being reminded to drive carefully on the roads over the school holidays as Operation Spring Break kicks off today.
Acting Deputy Commissioner Bob Gee says the operation, which runs from today until October 6 state-wide, will target dangerous driving behaviours in a bid to reduce the number of people seriously injured or killed on Queensland roads.
“With families heading off on school holidays from this afternoon, the roads will be much busier than usual – and we know that more cars on the road mean more chance that people will be involved in crashes.”
“With this in mind, we are today launching Operation Spring Break to target some of those most dangerous driving behaviours which we call the Fatal Five – speeding, drink and drug driving, failure to wear a seat belt, fatigue and driving whilst distracted.”
Acting Deputy Commissioner Gee said last spring school holidays, 13 people died on the roads.
“As well as 13 families mourning losses over the last school holidays, over 1,000 people were injured in serious crashes.
“This is the absolute last thing we want to see on school holidays, so we are pleading with the community to partner with us to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
“Although police will be maintaining a highly visible presence on Queensland roads during this period, drivers need to plan their trips – including breaks from driving – and make the safety of their family the priority.
“Distractions behind the wheel – including phones – can have dire consequences. We are asking drivers to focus on the road, even though it can be challenging at times with little ones in the back seat causing a distraction.”
So far this year there have been 174 fatalities on Queensland’s roads. This compares to 172 from last year.
Last year’s operation, which ran from Friday, September 16 to Friday, October 7 2016 resulted in the detection of 608 drug drivers and saw police issue 992 infringement notices for using a mobile phone and 643 infringement notices for failing to wear a seat belt.