Love it or loathe it, the countdown is on til the local government elections on March 19.
Community members across the region will have their chance to hold their council candidates to account in a series of regional forums in Goondiwindi, Inglewood, Toobeah, Texas and Talwood in the coming weeks.
We caught up with a few local voices to hear what their biggest issues are in their towns.
Publican of the Coronation Hotel and dubbed “Mayor of Toobeah” Michael Offerdahl has expressed a number of issues he thinks are are key for the town:
- Telecommunications – phone and internet services and the lack of reception
- Water infrastructure rates – decreasing fees and prices
- Development issues – encourage concessions for locals, need for building applications, easier development plans for the area
Interested parties can attend the forum at the Toobeah Pub on Friday 4th March at 6pm.
Publican of Talwood Hotel, Bill Lergessner says for Talwood, its all about community infrastructure. According to Bill, key issues include:
- Park facilities for children including a skate park
- Need more facilities for caravans/tourists including parking
- More signage – especially for public toilet blocks
Interested parties can attend the forum at the Talwood Hotel on Wednesday 9th March at 6:30pm.
Additional forums will also be held in:
- Goondiwindi at Gateway to Training, Russell St on Monday 29 Feb at 6pm
- Inglewood at Inglewood Civic Centre, Chillcott St on Wednesday 2 March at 6:30pm
- Texas at the Sports Complex, Middleton St on Monday 7 March at 6:30pn